Plants and Goldfish. It is possible.

 

Have you ever gone into a pet store and asked what plants you can put with goldfish? 

I have done this on a regular basis and the result is generally the same. A distinct snort and facial expression that I must be new and not know anything about goldfish.

"Goldfish eat everything and you're wasting your money." This is the standard response.

I have studied animal care and studied to become a zoo keeper. I feel all animals deserve enrichment while there are different points of view on the matter. I am just here to say it is possible to keep plants with goldfish if you have patience and are happy to steadily work through what works in your tank and with your fish.

Here is a photo of my big 4x2x2ft planted goldfish tank. Several months on and it's still looking good though is having minor modifications regularly. To make it easier to move them around and clean the gravel around them.

The plants for them to rummage through and look pretty are confined to one half of the tank. They have snack plants at the other end as well as floating plants to munch and Elodea to lay eggs in if they want.

More posts to follow. Detailing the success and failures as I found what worked with my fish

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello and Welcome

Experimenting With Plants - Goldfish Style